Merged subjects are displaying in duplicate in resource records (staff and public interface)


In a resource record with (for instance) two subjects that had been merged into one, the merged subject is now displaying twice on both the staff interface and the public interface.

For instance, in this record: there had previously been two distinct subjects "Duluth (Minn.)" and "West Duluth (Minn.)".

These two subjects were then merged into one subject – "Duluth (Minn.)".

Now, when I go to look at the linked subjects, I see two entries for "Duluth (Minn.)".

Similarly, in the PUI, in this record: many close-match subjects had been merged. We see, for instance, that there are five entries for "African American women – Social conditions". These had previously been five distinct subjects that had since been merged. This behavior is also present in the staff interface for this data.

To add one strange wrinkle, in the sandbox interface I merged the terms "photographs" and "negatives" – both of which are terms that were linked to the same resource record. The record now only shows "photographs" and only shows it once.




Christine Di Bella
November 18, 2019, 6:59 PM

See also

Lora Woodford
February 7, 2020, 8:46 PM

Note: This will likely be fixed as a side effect of changes being made as part of .

John Zarrillo
April 21, 2020, 6:48 PM

I tested this by merging two subjects and checking the resource in the staff interface and the PUI. There was no duplication of subjects, so the issue seems to be resolved.


Joshua Shaw
June 24, 2020, 1:51 PM

Fix remains in place for 2.8.0RC



Lora Woodford


Maureen Cresci Callahan



Fix versions